Day four of the Pirineosfit Jaca Trailweek started for me as a ‘feel good’ trailrun for many reasons:
- We started relaxed down hill through a nice forest.
- It was clouded with even for a few minutes a little drizzle, for me perfect. However my Spanish and Portuguese trail friends dressed themselves quickly with arm-sleeves and even wind jackets, for them it was really ‘frío’!
- My legs felt good, which was a surprise after the long and hot run yesterday.
- The route provided again amazing views of the high mountains, but also through a meadow full of cows, steep climbs and hard descends.
- After 34 kilometres I had eaten all my gels and bars, drank approximately two litres and could see the road to Canfranc, i.e. the finish, but than it happened ….
The track did not go to Canfranc but …
… started a almost vertical climb of 500 metres …
That was a bit brutal (understatement), a real test of my moral. Something similar to a running drill in the armed forces. Just when you see the barracks you are told … ”another round boys!”.
That is how I felt, but than again, it is a mountain trailrun, the organisation already showed the past days they are really good in finding hidden paths through the mountains end most importantly …
Nobody forced me to join this six days trail endurance …so stop moaning … keep calm, carry on and enjoy!
I took out my ‘emergency bar’, got some water along the track and continued. The vertical climb ended in a narrow traverse before descending finally towards Canfranc with a 100+ zigzag descend (at least that is how it felt). The descend was positive both in that it winded down through forest and most importantly, I did not feel anything at my left knee when speeding downwards. Both yesterday and today I felt a slight soreness in the knee when navigating through bumpy meadows and rocky trails. But not after 40km speeding down hill, HAPPY!
I finished just in 8:29:33 hours, i.e. just within the official cut-off time of 8.30 hours (!) for 41km and 2700 metres height gained.
All of the instant-team ‘FIT 4 FANTASTICOS’ finished again without any major injuries. Just tired after four long runs in the heat. We are now passed the half-way mark, two more to go.
Yesterday I was too tired to go the shop for an Ice-cream but today I feel much better, probably due to the less heat … so ultimate recuperation time for me will start now …